Monday 18 October 2010

Week 15 in Korea

First off, I'll be going to the Temple next Tuesday, so I won't be emailing on Monday. So I'll be emailing later in the afternoon on Tuesday. Hopefully I can get some good pics for the plaque. The only thing is, I'll be on exchanges the day before, and so I may look a little... ya know, tired.  Awesome news, one of our investigators got interviewed last week, and he will be baptized this Saturday. His step-son will also be baptized. Lee Hyun Su is amazing! He's so prepared. He's a miracle that just walked into our Church. Anyway...


The mission is really just flying by. But when I tell people how long I've been in Korea people still say, "Awwwww." Case in point, I played guitar and talked for a stake fireside. Thanks to the chord book Mom sent, I was able to put a cool medley together, with High On The Mountain Top, How Gentle God's Commands, All Creatures of Our God and King and Be Still my Soul. Anyway, when I began my talk, I said "I'm Elder Reyes, I'm from LA. I've been in Korea for 3 months." And every sister let out a big "AWWWWW." What was weird though, is they had me talk with a spotlight on. It made sense for the musical number, but for a testimony??? Kinda weird. I spoke about how being in a band and being a missionary are very similar. Like how I was always away from home, so now when people ask me if I miss my house I say "Not really, I'm kinda used to it." Or how whether it was a good concert or a good contact all depends on how it is received by people. I spoke for about 6 or 7 minutes, and bore my testimony of this gospel. It was a miracle though, it's the longest I've spoken Korean, not teaching a lesson. Just talking. I had written what I wanted to say, and my companion translated it for me, but I only had time to memorize a fraction of what I wanted to say. It always feels like there no time to study, and I felt extremely unprepared.


As the fireside was about to start I was reading over some notes, and one of the Zone Leaders said, "What is that? Notes? You won't need those!" I replied, "We'll see, it won't look very good when I have to start reading them midway through my talk." But I said a little prayer for help, as I've been doing this whole last week. Still, "What was I gonna say?" I finished playing, and put down my guitar. I patted my suit coat to check if my notes were there, they were, but I dreaded the thought of having to use them. I began speaking, and immediately I was amazed that I was able to just say what I had somewhat gotten memorized. Then, as it got nearer to what I hadn't gotten a chance to get down... I just kept speaking. As the words were coming out of my mouth, it was like a movie, and I was just watching myself talk. Everything I wanted to say, was coming out of my mouth... I was even cracking jokes! I kept thinking to myself, "What is happening???!" The whole thing was surreal, especially since they had a spotlight blinding me. If anyone has had bright lights on them, even just a flashlight (when you get pulled over by a cop), you know you can't see anything. At times, other than people laughing at a joke, it felt like I was alone in a room. It felt even stranger, bearing my testimony, not being able to see who I was bearing it to. It was like talking to no one. Even if I was talking to no one, my testimony would be the same. The Church is true, Joseph Smith was a prophet, and Thomas S. Monson is a prophet leading Christ's church today. Jesus Christ is our Redeemer, and God lives, and loves each and every one of us.

"...take no thought how or what ye shall speak, for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak."
- Matthew 10:19

Love,
Elder Reyes

PS. Give Adam a Happy B-Day hug for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment