Monday 7 February 2011

Week 31

Last week was hectic and relaxed at the same time. It was another big Korean Holiday last week, and so we spent about 5 days in Seoul. We didn't get back to Won-Ju until Friday morning.

The Holiday is called Solar, it's the Lunar Calender New Year. We left Monday night, but before that we spent the day finding. I gained a real testimony of how important it is to talk to everybody, even if they are rejecting you pretty hard. We were going through the downtown shopping area to get somewhere and I started talking to these guys going the opposite way. I walked and talked with them for nearly 3 blocks, and it was kind of just like talking to a wall on wheels, besides a few grunts of acknowledgment. It felt like a waste, and we had to walk back a ways. 



Then all of a sudden, we hear "Hey, wait!" Two Cambodian men come running up to us, and one starts speaking to me in English, and the other starts speaking to me in Korean. "Where's your class?" I assume they want English, so I pull out a wrinkled English flier, and they ask, "So is the Bible Class in English or...?" Oh, they want to come to Church! So we get their numbers, tell them how to get to the Church, and then take off. If we hadn't talked to those other guys, these men never would have seen us!


When we went to Seoul, the whole Seoul Mission gathered together, mostly just to have fun. We had a big concert and me and my district leader played a song together. There's so much talent in the mission. Some of the performances gave me goosebumps, they were so good. The days following the holiday, the streets around Won-Ju seemed soo quiet. People were in town, they just spent the days napping (for real.) Sounds like a good holiday.
 
The morning we got back, one of our baptismal candidates, Joe Byeong-Du got interviewed, and he's doing great, but he caught the cold again right after.

 
Sunday: I'm waiting for the Cambodians, named Lee Choi and Sukgum (I don't know how deluted those names are being Cambodian, written in Korean, and then romanized, anyway.) I'm outside when they call, "We're here." I tell them, "I don't see you." After a bunch of back and forth, I realize they are on the other side of the building. Ah! They're dressed up really nice, and the Branch just loves them. We teach them afterward, and they explain how they went to Christian church in Cambodia, but couldn't find any Christian friends here in Korea. They've both been here for over 2 years, and there are churches EVERYWHERE. The lesson was a bit bizarre because one speaks English, but not really any Korean, and the other speaks Korean, but not really any English. And we all know I can't speak Cambodian. I'd say something, and one would be confused, until I said the same thing again in the other language. Either way, the Spirit could be felt, and they are truly prepared. We set baptismal dates  for the end of the month.


 
Mom, I got your package. Thank you so much for all the goodies, especially for what I've been looking for! It was good to see that. The egg pan works great, but I can never eat just one. haha. Thank you also for the abundance of Zip-lock bags that everything was wrapped in, I put them to good use. It's amazing how much care that people can see just from the outside of the boxes you send. Everyone knows which packages are mine, just from looking at the label, and not reading the label.

 
The weather here is starting to get warmer, at least I thought so, but it snowed last night and this morning. Alright, everyone give me more updates. I'd love to hear how everyone's doing.
 
-Elder Reyes

No comments:

Post a Comment