Monday 20 December 2010

Week 24

I'm in Seoul, on some insanely ghetto computer. Half of the keys are faded, and the space bar is jammed!!! I have to pound on it like a stapler. I look like a crazy person in here!!!! Let the typos and errors begin...

I will be calling home on Christmas Day(my time). I'm so excited to to hear your voices. I'm planning on calling after study around 11am-12pm ish. Some time around there. So be ready. Be together. Play Yahtzee. Eat lots of food. And open presents at 12 midnight like us anxious Filipinos do it... no waiting Christmas morning for us.

Ok, so another crazy transfer call came. Like I said in my last e-mail, I knew they had been planning to make me go senior companion. I knew I'd probably get a younger missionary, who's only been in the country for a few months. Word just travels fast in the mission. As you could tell from my last e-mail, I was a bit worried. But there's no need to worry...

Transfer calls came and I'm staying in my area... as a TRAINER!!!! I'm getting a greenie! I've only been in the country 5 months!!! When I got that call, I felt like I got hit by a car... but like a really nice car, like a Benz. So the guy who hit me is rich and will take care of my medical expenses.

Anyway, the other Filipino i was with in the MTC, Elder Mejia, is also training. We're the youngest non-Korean missionaries to ever train in the mission. It's going to be intense. They sent the departing missionaries home a week early, to get home in time for school and Christmas. So Elder Mejia and I have been together since last Wednesday, and we'll get our greenies this Wednesday. Exciting. So Elder Mejia and I have been going back and forth between our areas to cover appointments.
Having that young of missionaries together, has been a blast. Yes, we're confused a lot of the time, but that's how we grow. I feel like I've grown so much in the language and as a missionary just in the last few days. I've always had Korean companions, so I've used them as a crutch... now that crutch has been kicked out from under me, and I've gotta learn how to communicate and get things done on what I have.

Because we don't speak Korean anywhere near perfectly, I've relied so much more on the Spirit this week. And the miracles are amazing. I know we are being blessed for our efforts. We taught a man on the street. And  he brought up that in Revelations, it says that "whosoever addeth...". We explained that that that was written before the Bible was put together, and called the Bible. And that Revelations was written before many other books in the New Testament. In any other case like this, contention comes in, and the Spirit is gone. But this man was different, I could still feel the Spirit. He was willing to listen to what we had to say... even in the BITTER cold. And even though he couldn't disagree more. He just didn't believe that there is a living Prophet, and Apostles today who receive revelation. At first we just reasoned with him, and asked, "Do you pray?" his answer was... "of course."

"Do you receive answers to your prayers?" recognizing where we were going, he tried to reason that personal revelation is different. But his fence and his logic was broken. We took that opportunity to testify that God loves his children now, like he did in Bible times. That Christ guides his Church through a living prophet and Apostles today. That the Book of Mormon is the word of God, and testifies of the Bible, and that Jesus is the Christ. That through reading the Book of Mormon, he can know for himself, through the power of the Holy Ghost, that it is the word of God, and Christ's Church has been restored.

He was nice to begin with, but now after doing that. There was no "logical" argument. It was just our testimonies. We gave him the Book of Mormon, and he said "I want to read this. I'm going to read this." We plan to meet him this week.

So I don't have much time. there's so much else that I can say. But I will tell you when I call, and catch up. I love you, and can't wait to talk to you.

Tell Everyone I wish them a Merry Christmas.

Also, James and Hill!!! I got your package. Thank you so much. I couldn't wait. I just opened everything the second got it! Love you! 

-Elder Reyes

No comments:

Post a Comment