Sunday, 29 August 2010

Week 8 in Korea

First off, an early birthday greeting to mom!!! Second off, a very late HAPPY Anniversary to James and Hill. I was showing my photo album to a member, and I was explaining when my brothers got married, and then realized... SHOOT! I didn't say anything for August 1st. I can't believe it's been a year. Also, congrats, and it's been a long time coming, to Leona on her baptism. I wish I was there for that. I'm guessing a lot of 7th warders thought she was a member already. That's so amazing. I don't know Adam's e-mail, but pass along the hugs and hi-fives for me. Adam was the first person to write me in the MTC, and I miss him like crazy. Also let him know that his modeling pics for GT (GeekTyrant) are studly.

So we had our first Zone Conference this last Friday. They only do them once every other transfer here after the missions combined. One of the AP's called me a half hour before bedtime the night before to ask if I could do musical number. My response, "I don't know how to play hymns! But sure." I had to figure something out it half an hour, and had no practice going into it Friday morning, but it went off without a hitch. I played "All Creatures of Our God and King," and went all Rufus Wainwright on the Allelujah's.

The training focused on finding. And it all starts with properly planning and praying. Getting down on your knees makes all the difference in the world. Within two days after the training, we picked up 3 new investigators, and set up appointments for three more.

I also had my first Stake Conference here as well. Our Ward Choir sang, and it was great. The Stake Center here in our Area is MASSIVE! Four Stories tall and all sorts of fancy. Think of four Glendale Stake Centers stacked on top of each ther, with all the bathrooms having built in bidets and insane state of the art kitchens. The English branch also meets there, so I saw a lot of Americans, but honestly didn't have time to stop and talk.

It also rained like nobody's business on Sunday. It's as if someone took the ocean and put it into a bucket, and just poured it over Seoul. My umbrella did nothing. I've never seen it rain so hard in my life. Never, ever ever. Then by noon, the sky was blue, and by dinner... insane amounts of rain again. The thunder sounded like cars were driving off the roofs of the buildings around us.

I've seen so many miracles here in Korea, and I've only been here a couple months. What's really hard sometimes though is when those miracles don't end in someone progressing and accepting the message. But I just have to remind myself that they are still indeed miracles, and they do build my testimony, and show me plain and clear that the Lord's hand is in the work, because it is his work.

If anyone knows me, they know I hate riding the bus. Now that's all I do, but I remember taking the bus home in LA once and not knowing if I got on the right one. I was maybe 13 or 14. I prayed to have some kind of sign that I would know I was going to the right place. After I opened my eyes, I saw a Church member from our neighborhood get on the bus.

Flash forward to the mission. In the SLC airport, going to Korea, having a lady lend me her iPhone to my family, and it ends up her son is also serving in Seoul. That let me know, I was going to the right place. (I finally got to meet and thank the Elder who's mom lent me her phone last week.) Then, meeting the man I sat next to on the plane randomly on the street... when He lived an hour away from my area. Finding a guitar in front of my apt building, just lying there. Those are pretty big signs that pretty much slap me over the head that I'm in the right place.

But then there are just the quiet moments, walking down a street, reading my scriptures, teaching a lesson, when the spirit fills my soul, and lets me know I'm in the right place.

-Elder Reyes

No comments:

Post a Comment