Tuesday 4 May 2010

Week 2

Dear Family! And friends who are also my family!

I am finally starting to comprehend the days here. I used to toss and turn at night, but now I am so exhausted at the end of the day that I end up sleeping through the 3 different alarms that go off in my room. I miss wakingup to Kevin and Bean (KROQ).

Two weeks in and we already had our first injury... Elder Paxman (Yes, hilariously close to Pacman the video game) sprained his ankle while playing basketball. I was gasping for air for the first few days of playing basketball at gym, and I thought I might be asthmatic :( But now I'm back in tip top shape, and I've beat Elders in games of H.O.R.S.E and 21 (1 on 5 version), even though the average height advantage all of the Elders have on me is at least a foot or more. Doing fade away jumpers over guys who are 6'10" or more is one of the best feelings in the world... John Stockton would be proud, but that's about the only non-Spiritual Enjoyment I have time for.

Everything else I do here is with an eye towards my purpose. Learning to avoid complicated vocab and "Church Terms" when teaching a lesson has been an amazing experience. The more simple and clear the lesson, the more trust you put into the Holy Ghost and ultimately message is more powerful and personal.

Being able to attend the temple every week has been such a blessing, I hope I can keep it up when I get back home. Watching church films and attending the temple, I've gotten to see a couple of familiar faces... Joe Paur, and Leo Paur.

A few hours after I e-mailed you last week, I got to hear Elder L. Tom Perry Speak. The Spirit I felt when he entered the room was so powerful I thought I was going to collapse. The Elder standing next to me (Elder Bishoff from St. George, who is also our District Leader) felt the same power testify so clearly that this man truly is an Apostle of the Lord!

-Elder Reyes

No comments:

Post a Comment