Wednesday 16 February 2011

Week 32

It always seems to snow when I email... this last week, other areas in my Zone got over 4 FEET of snow!

I was looking through my planner thinking of what happened this past week. As I looked at it, I thought, wasn't this a month ago? Time is a weird thing. And my memory is pretty bad. It was another week where we spent most of our time on buses and subways. But we got a chance to go to the Temple and it was amazing.

After the Temple session, Sister and Elder Jordin (couple missionaries from Idaho) waved discretely for me to come to their car. They pull off a bag to reveal a 12 pack of Root Beer! They were the Missionaries who brought me and Elder Eisenhaur Christmas dinner when we were in the hospital. I talked about the package I received from Mom, and how I wanted to start making root beer. They bought me a 12 pack soon after, but by the time they saw me next, it had dwindled down to a 3 pack. Elder Jordin says he has "no clue how that happened." This time the 12 remained intact, and they gave me a choice between Mug and A&W, and I explained how James, Adam, and I did a taste test years ago. We determined that Mug had the best flavor, Barq's has the most bite, and that a&w is the best for root beer floats, because of the frothiness of it. I said I'd take the Mug cuz I haven't been buying Ice Cream lately. Elder Jordin said jokingly, " You don't buy ice-cream? I'd start repenting if I were you."

Afterward, we got to spend the rest of the day at a war museum. What I didn't realize was that the lens had a huge smudge on it, making all the tops of my pictures look like they were taken in the 1980's.(Sorry. Issa, Elder Montgomery has been in my zone for two transfers, but we only snagged one picture together.)

We get back to our area Wednesday night, and we worked so hard everyday that when we would come home at night we would literally crawl around the house the rest of the night.

We had a pretty amazing miracle yesterday afternoon. We were supposed to go to visit a sick member after Church with our Branch President, but right before we left, she said not to come over. We had all of our stuff packed and with us. The Branch President asked what we'd do, and we said we'd just put our stuff back in the church and do some finding around the area. He gets in to his car, we unlock the church doors, which we just locked up, and go back in. Not 10 seconds after I see our Branch President drive off, a man starts walking through our gated parking lot. He comes in and asks, "When is your worship service." I said, it ended about an hour ago. I explained the meeting and asked if he just moved to the area, and if he was a member of our church. He replied, "No, I went to Catholic church when I was in Seoul, and I moved here 2 months ago." I said, "You know we're not Catholic right?" He nods his head and says, " Yeah I can see that."  We give him a church tour, explain the about The Book of Mormon, and he'll be coming next week.

It's Valentine's Day here already, I know I'm not too far a head of you time wise, but it was just funny to see people selling chocolate on every corner last night.

I don't really have a special Valentine's Memory, and I am gonna spend this one on a train with 5 other missionaries to Seoul. Very romantic, I know. There's no time/ it's definitely not allowed as a missionary anyway. But our whole missions are an expression of our love for the Savior, who has called us to do this work. We are here because we love this gospel, and we want to share it with the people of Korea. We love Korea. We love the Korean people. In the Korean language, the word LOVE isn't tossed around like it is in English. If you said you "love" some kind of food or movie, or any non-living object, it would either A: make no sense. Or B: make you look like a complete weirdo.

There's an old talk that Elder Holland gives on "How should I love thee," that is on Mormon Messages. I hope everyone watches it this Valentine's Day, it's a tear jerker, I promise.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment